Tuesday 12 November 2013

Experimenting with texture,colour and shape.

After choosing my final hair design I decided to create the design upon a head.

I began to develop my design by considering the texture after reading  (The Anatonie of Abuses. Published 1583, Author Philip Stubbes.) He described the hair as being "curled,frizzled, and crisped". I wanted to somehow convey a historically correct texture. How more accurate can you get than Elizabethan literature


Curled.

I stupidly left my curling tongs at home, so I turned to my beloved heated rollers which create a thicker curl. 



I  began by putting the hair up into a high ponytail. I then applied a rounded banana clip to the ponytail on top of the head (placing it in the center). This made the hair stand in place. I then took the hair band out and curled the hair with heated rollers.











Much to my surprise the hair did not curl as much as I would have liked! So I decided to use the pin curling technique except not flat on the head standing up so you can see the pin curls hole. As you can see this looks rather ridiculous. I will not be developing this look ever!



Crisped & frizzed.



I then tried out creating a frizzed effect. Using the intriguing technique that Seema taught us. Using just a geisha pin and straighteners! I wrapped the hair around about 18 geisha pins popped a curvy grip in them to hold it in place. After they had been held in that position long enough I pressed the straightners onto the hair. Took the pin out creating a zig zag effect to the hair. This texture was not frizzed o I got out my tail comb and backcombed the dolly's head brutally. It created a frizzy effect. But I had not taken into consideration the time it took me; or the fact that my hair is way longer,thicker, and I have a million more strands.






Although from the profile image you can see that although the texture might not be ideal the mohican shape is there. Although this looks a little too out of hand and has much more development to come.










Colour.

As inspired by Nini Ricci fragrance Nina L'Elixir and of course Queen Elizabeth I; the chosen colour I want to communicate my idea is red. I thought of many ways I could incorporate the colour. The two ideas I have chosen to possibly use id the red strands of hair and the red spray.

Red strands of hair.

I plaited these strands of hair, and as the hair was synthetic I burnt the ends to melt them so the plait would stay a plait. I hid the strands under the mohican. The strands going upwards. To me this did not look right or complete. Therefore I feel it is best I do not use them. Also the strands were too long which meant I would have had to cut them which could ruin the plait.









Red hair spray.


This looked much more natural and was simple, and not time consuming to apply. When it dries it also creates this dry,damaged hair effect like I'd imagine the word crisped to be like.











Shape.

I knew I wanted a mohican shape so I purchased a banana clip. The clip was suitable for the doll. However I needed a longer one due to my length and amount of hair. What the clip will do is hold the hair in place in a mohican shape so I can create shapes upon the hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment