Friday 25 October 2013

Smart & wild collages.

Smart.

For my interpretation of what I thought smart hair looked like I chose an image of actress Brittany Snow. To make this image have Elizabethan reference to it. I decided to paint on top of the hair in a shade of orangery red just like Elizabeth's hair but more of a modern fashion colour.. "Her red wig made flame-colored tresses fashionable in England at the time."(The red head handbook, pg 19, Author Cort Cass). I also chose to paint upon both of my images as many Elizabethans had their portraits painted emphasizing the features they already had."Thus the conventions of female,physical beauty are closely tied  to their painted representations."(cosmetics in Shakespearean and Renaissance Drama Author Farah Karim-Cooper). Which is why I wanted to paint on top of the images to create my own portrait in a sense. As this quote to me suggests that they altered the paintings to make their more like the `ideal` beauty of the time as the quote "closely tied" to me suggests.





Wild.

For my wild interpretation I wanted to create more texture and shapes. So I painted over the hair creating bigger curls, using colours such as Golds,oranges
pinks,blues and greens. I used the darker colours to shade and lighter to sort of  highlight. I wanted Gold to be the base colour of the hair as hair was once described as gold "for shining beyond fine gold of araby" (cosmetics in Shakespearean and Renaissance Drama Author Farah Karim-Cooper). I added a flower in for adornment as young girls often wore flowers in their hair in this era it connatated innocence.








No comments:

Post a Comment